Friday, July 15, 2011

Minimalism in the kitchen

So, I have been on a minimalist type of kick for a while now, and these are a couple articles that recently caught my eye. Just how much space do you really need on a table anyway?

flatpack table up photoFirst, let's talk about this foldable table. Now, I remember this type of thing in our tent trailer from when I was a kid, of course, in the tent trailer the table also lowered to be a bed, which was pretty sweet. But this idea is an interesting one also. Why do people not mount their kitchen tables?! If it is easy to fold down, I would consider doing this. I hate that when I come home, I end up throwing all of my stuff right where I want to eat, and then I am too lazy to move it so I end up holding my food while I eat it, sitting at the table, but not using the table. If it were folded up every day, and only taken down for meals, I wouldn't have to worry about throwing all of my stuff on it. Of course.. it could get frustrating if you didn't have a place to put all of that stuff right when you walk in the door too, so that problem would have to be solved. But really, do we need to have as much space as we take up now? If a table folded up, you could use the kitchen as a kitchen and a living room, or a dining room and a kitchen if you don't quite have enough room in your kitchen for a table while you are cooking, but once the oven is off, why not?!  I like this as a way to reduce your space footprint, but also reduce the mess I create when I come inside.  Click on the image for the full article on treehugger!

la cool vie table Daniel Gantes photoAnd then there is this idea. I know these are both treehugger articles, and I know I should find another blog/magazine to read, but for now, I'm just going to talk about both of these. This table is basically a sawhorse with spots for two people to eat. It is pretty fun too, though I do like to rest my elbows or arms on the table as I eat.. so I probably wouldn't like this idea as much, but it definitely sheds light on how much space a table takes up and how much we actually use!

Just a couple things for thought for the day!

R

No comments:

Post a Comment