Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Girls were the first computer scientists


Well, I don't know about that, but it used to be depicted as a feminine job.  One of the computer girls described coding "just like planning dinner".  Really you can code while  your kids are napping and still be a stay at home mom while (if you were doing it now) earning the big bucks.  Maybe this is the perfect career for women.  However, in my programming classes, I was one of very few girls in a class, so don't think that other girls have caught on.  In one of my classes there were 5 of us (girls) in a class of about 150...now, this programming class was in the electrical engineering department and touted as one of the toughest classes at UC Berkeley.  I didn't feel lonely in the class, as the senior from Johns Hopkins University says she is, but I also didn't do my work at home.  We had a homework group and two of the girls from the class (including me) were in it, so we still had some girly support but we hung out with the guys too.  This article describes the fluctuations of girls in computer science over time, they were at their peak involvement in 1984.  Now the percentage of women in computer science is noticeably low, but it is on the rise again.  Besides, all the guys will realize they are doing a girly job and quit pretty soon anyway.  

S

No comments:

Post a Comment