Friday, April 15, 2011

Could you beat the bus?

I recently worked on a study for the CTA about a possible BRT option in Chicago. The papers I read about BRT and priority lane buses on the way made me realize how efficient even a priority lane (a dedicated lane for buses) can be for the public transit system. Mark Malkoff decided to test out the public transit system.... by racing a New York City bus on a Big Wheel and won! (I know.. I just gave away the ending)


But really, when the system is so bad that a grown man on a bike designed for a child can beat the bus (I can beat the bus walking according the the speed given on the video) it needs to be redesigned. If you include waiting time for the bus, the big wheel beats the bus way too easily. Watch the video, it is interesting to see all the people around, even if he is a LITTLE annoying for part of it. I think he makes a great point about the system, and one that needs to be addressed soon. I am all for priority lanes, free parking is one of the biggest reasons there is such bad congestion and a more efficient bus system can make a city so much more "livable". Click on the image for the link to the Good Magazine article about it and to watch the video, it is worth it to think about, and maybe test out in your own city!

R

No comments:

Post a Comment