Friday, June 10, 2011

Girls, Girls, Girls

I have been seeing a lot of postings on all of the blogs I read about girl power type of things. But the image to the right sparked my push to post a whole blog post about it, because you know what, it's true! But it isn't just rape or molestation that women have to deal with today, in a society that you would think supported female power, it's lower wages, and judging based on our looks (a lot more than guys.. or that's what they say) for example, I don't think there have been as many studies about skinnier men making more money than larger men, as there has been for women (that is just one example of an article about it) and that is just a discrepancy among women not between men and women as this article addresses. Women also have the double standard issue with sexual encounters, men are lauded for sleeping with more than 10 women in one summer, while women would be considered a slut. Because of this, a new group of women called Slutwalkers have emerged. These women stand up for our rights in the bedroom (and in many other ways) so we can continue to fight for equal rights with men. And while I am the first to admit I try my hardest to compete on the same level as men.... I think that sometimes equal treatment isn't ALWAYS right, but equal rights is a must in a legal sense.

Now, women might be a little crazy about shoes (for an interesting article about a principal who sold all of her shoes on ebay to prevent layoffs in her school click on the shoe picture to the left), or be extremely picky about clothes (I know that article was not written by a woman) but we have things going for us too, and it isn't always based in looks. Women are hard working, caring, motherly types of people in most cases, but they can also put up with a lot of pain, and are usually fiercely loyal (I know.. I'm making generalizations). But if a girl can go around a city on one day dressed "sexy" and on another day dressed "plain" and only really get free stuff on the "sexy" day, that makes you wonder just how much women are judged by their looks. I don't agree with that woman's techniques as a scientific study, for example, she ASKS for a free bus ride as "plain" her and just walks on as "sexy" her, that's not using the same techniques, but it still points out that it really is a lot more about looks for women, but that says nothing about intelligence, or ability. I love dressing up, so I don't have too much of an issue with this in some respect, but in another, I don't ever want to do my hair or wear makeup, so why should I have to to earn the respect I deserve?

Oh well, I guess we should all follow this very important advice and schedule a margarita date with a good friend.

R

1 comment:

  1. Another study showed that blondes are paid more than other women ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/7552146/Blondes-paid-more-than-other-women.html )

    ReplyDelete