Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Keep your legs closed!


 

I have only taken Plan B once. Maybe that's too much information about my life, but I had a similar experience to many of the girls in this article. It was scary, frustrating, and mostly embarrassing to have to go ask the pharmacist for it. But I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to get a prescription from a doctor to do it, and I am still grateful that Plan B is available at the pharmacy down the road. The condom broke, we were trying to be safe, and so we took precautions to protect ourselves afterward. I still felt judged by the lady at the counter next to me, but I am a strong independent woman, and I should be allowed to choose my sexual endeavors, as long as I am safe and choose wisely. However, I do feel that even today there is little education on how these pills work and when they should be used. They should NOT be a normal form of birth control, your body can really only handle so much of that, but they should NOT be hard to get access to. Anyone who needs a "morning after" pill should have access to them, otherwise we are perpetuating the problem of unsafe and unprepared sexual adventures that people are too shy to take care of. We need to provide better education to our youth about sex in all forms, but protection from STDs and from pregnancy is one place that we still (even though that's the only thing talked about in many sex ed classes) barely scrape the surface on.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment