Saturday, May 14, 2011

Traffic Congestion is CuRazy!

Now, getting away from the childhood memories, let's think about traffic congestion, one of my favorite topics! Yay for transportation planning. But really, this is an interesting infographic about what traffic is about and some of the solutions people have already tried. Now, my creativity will have to start working (uhoh, back to childhood memories, I just couldn't stay away from them) to start thinking of new ways to try to fix this.. my idea is just to get people out of their cars and off the road, but most people don't like walking or biking or taking transit, and if everyone in a car were to do those things then sidewalks would be congested and buses would be so full we wouldn't be comfortable riding them any more, so a good balance between the two is essential to the success of the overall transportation system.
Science of Traffic Jams Infographic

In class we are learning about the solutions presented in this infographic, but it is interesting to hear about what other people think about them. I, for one, had never seen the importance of ramp signaling, but thinking about it, the congestion is spread out over the ramps as well as the freeway, making the whole system a little more efficient, AND it helps to reduce accidents, especially in those entry ramps that turn into exit only lanes right after they enter. I love thinking about new solutions, but my real passion is trying to figure out why people drive instead of another form of transportation and how to convince them that driving really isn't worth it.

Like always, click on the infographic to see the full thing, it is an interesting visual way of really showing how traffic works. I love visuals in terms of learning and I might present this to my professors as a way of helping them keep students interested.

R




Also, I love the blog this one is on... autoblog.com... I need to stop picking up new blogs every time I see an interesting article, maybe I need to not be interested in so many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment