Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Sitting, Standing, Walking

I have always been a strange person. I'm not a crazy person (though in recent days I have begun to wonder that about myself too) but there are quirks about every person that makes them a little strange. One of my new passions, my new weird obsessions is the idea that we are slowly killing ourselves sitting. I wear a pedometer, those who know me know that I wear it, I talk about it all the time, but I still sit for 8 hours a day.. on average. I need to get myself a standing desk, like the one below, or make it I guess. I need one where I can move around behind it and still be able to get my work done. Standing still hurts. I have found (in my recent adventure of counting traffic) that you don't have to stand still when standing, and that is the beauty of it. I have been walking around while standing on a corner, and dancing around to my own music, and my feet haven't hurt the whole time. I will go about 3 hours of standing and for some reason, I still have no problems. There is something behind this infographic (click the red image for the full thing) maybe we need to stand more!
standUP.jpgI know my back usually hurts if I just stand still for a long time, which is what Seth Brau says in his article about the desk below. He says it is better if he dances around or moves around some, and honestly I feel like I am more productive when I'm not sunk down into a chair, comfortable, relaxed, and slowly killing myself apparently. Our bodies are not designed to sit for hours on end, we are designed to seek out what we need to do, we are like a well oiled machine, if we don't move the gears they will stiffen up, no matter how much oil is on them. So I aim to figure out how to make my desk at work a standing desk, I know it will make me not only more active, and maybe more distracted because I will be able to just walk wherever I want to go, but also that it just might make me a little happier to be in the office (and eventually we can hope MORE productive).

R

No comments:

Post a Comment