Friday, May 27, 2011

Play nice!

funny graphs - It Sticks With Me For WeeksI am in a bike planning class this summer (let me tell you, summer school is ridiculous!) and one of the topics the other day was critical mass. As an 'occasional' biker (I'm definitely more of a pedestrian...) I think critical mass is annoying. I understand the concept and support that, but during critical mass bikes block an intersection for multiple greens, or take over the whole road, sometimes biking the wrong direction in a lane. These activities make me wonder, do you really think people are going to LIKE bikers more because of this. On a normal day, I don't mind bikers, just those ones that run a red light and almost hit me as I cross the road on my green. Really? I'm walking, and I know you can anticipate where I will be by the time you get to my crosswalk, at least give me some space. Secondly, I shouldn't have to look for you there because you have a red light. Generally, it annoys me when people don't follow the laws, but it is also unsafe, and it makes it MORE unsafe for all bikers if some don't follow the laws, because everyone else thinks bikers are all jerks.

I recently discovered bicycling as a form of normal transportation (mostly because I was too lazy to bike, but also because you don't get steps on a pedometer if you're biking!) and I do love it, but I follow the laws as often as possible. Since I only go about 2 miles to campus and home I tend to find walking easier, and it only cuts off about 10 minutes of my walk, but I can see if I start biking more often I will be more comfortable with road biking (I'm used to biking on empty roads or trails and cars driving by can be really scary) and get in better shape so I will be able to bike 4 or 5 miles to go to a party and not have to worry about catching a bus at 2 AM or hoping no creeper is on the bus at 2 AM. But in general, this is just a rant about following rules and being friendly.  As the comic says, people don't know what to think when you are nice in reaction to their rudeness, and I think it makes them realize that they were being a little bit rash in their assumption that you are also a jerk. So maybe I should be flashing people then?

R

No comments:

Post a Comment