Sunday, May 29, 2011

This is me this summer

Growing up, I learned how to work, and every job I have had since then I have been praised for my hard work. I hate taking days off because I feel like I am losing something, missing out on something, and I don't like catching up when I get back. But this summer I think I may reach my peak of that. I am working 2 jobs while taking summer classes and I just don't want to do homework any more! However, according to this article, all Americans are like that. We work more, take actual vacations less, and miss out on all the relaxation and adventure that vacation allows. In the past year I have been on two fairly serious vacations (In May 2010 I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and in December to Brazil for 10 days) and it is time to get the 2nd one back. Since May is almost over, it will now only be one serious vacation in a year, and I think 2 is a good thing to live up to. The article linked to the picture (which is actually a picture of our feet, not from the article) is called "No Vacation Nation: Why Americans Work Like Robots". While I don't think the article really addresses the WHY, it does present an interesting case. We are not less productive than other countries, and yet we work a lot more, and a lot harder, and (personal aside) most people hate their jobs.

I hope that once I graduate, and from now on, I will think about this and plan a good vacation at least once a year if not more, but I also want to enjoy my job. Because even at my last job (where my boss called me "fem-bot" with NO sexual intentions) where I worked like a robot, I enjoyed being there every day, and that is what makes you more productive, not the amount of money you are making.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment