Friday, March 11, 2011

How do we communicate? - It seems to be text now.


I guess I'm not the only one who prefers texting over talking on the phone, especially when you have to reach a lot of people in a short time. In Japan, after the earthquake and tsunami, people texted loved ones to reassure them of their safety, and updated their facebook status or twitter to reach those farther away. While I would make sure to call a few people if I could, it is nice to know that if the signals get too busy to call, we can text people when we need to get ahold of them. I'm not trying to make light of the situation with the comic, but it is true that texting has slowly merged into everyone's lives, and in a time of sadness and chaos that such devastation that can be seen in Japan right now brings, it is good to enjoy some comedy while realizing the true impact around the world.

It is amazing how far technology has come as well. Before phones a person in a traumatic experience could not reach their family for days, weeks, or even months. The family would probably not find out about the problems until that time either. With just phone lines that could easily be torn town with a tornado or earthquake, families could spend weeks searching. Even recently, with Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, it was difficult to keep track of who survived, and which houses remained intact. Years later, families might still be separated, not knowing what happened to loved ones on that day. With text messaging so pervasive in the world today, it is nice to know we might be able to reach someone in the middle of a disaster, as long as you keep your hands on your phone.

I hope everyone in Japan is able to reconcile their problems caused by these disasters, and I will keep them in my thoughts as I go through my day, week, and year.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment