Friday, March 11, 2011

I'll Rock-Paper-Scissors you for it!?

I've seen this image floating around the internet for a few days and I just want to say that I totally agree. While I would never punch someone who decided paper beats rock, it really does not make sense. Where did the idea come from in the first place?

According to many articles online, starting with wikipedia, the game of rock-paper-scissors is derived from a Chinese game from the Ming Dynasty. And according to many question and answer sites, because of it's original origin, the paper beating rock still remains. In the time of the Ming Dynasty, putting a paper request over the rock used to hold it in place while in the que (for the leader to review) was a sign that the request was denied. By hiding the rock, the leader effectively defeated the request.

I think this game needs to be updated, but at least there is a historical reason for paper to beat rock, and until it is changed, punching people might be more fun anyway.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment